Selected publications (selected based on rights status) in Series 1 of the Amherst College Student & Alumni Publications Collection are now available in ACDC.
The collection includes literary, humor and news publications, largely written and edited by Amherst College students and alumni, but also including Five-College publications and publications edited by the college for students and alumni.
Amherst College students have been creating and publishing their own work from the earliest years of the school. From the handwritten La Critique (1829) through the Student (the campus newspaper, published since 1869), on to Gaia (2015-2016), an environmentally-themed magazine, the student publications are extensive and eclectic. The second half of this collection consists of alumni publications, including the Amherst Graduates’ Quarterly (1911-1949) and Amherst, the current alumni magazine (1949-present). Five-College publications include collaborative student-created publications written for the Five-College community.
This large collection records student and alumni experiences, creativity, news, and events throughout much of the college’s history. Most aspects of college life are reflected in one or more publications found here, no matter your interest—athletics, literature, social events, or political action. Given the size of this collection, we will be digitizing material throughout the Bicentennial project.
Series 1 of this collection was scheduled for digitization and description in Year One (2018) of our Bicentennial project. Copyright issues and other challenges delayed its ingest slightly and it was ingested into ACDC in Year Two (2019) of the project.
Series 4 and Series 6 of this collection is scheduled for digitization and description in Year Two (2019) of our Bicentennial project.
Titles by Amherst students (some publications changed titles over time):
- Alexandrian Eclectic Review
- Amherst Aurora
- Amherst Can
- The Amherst Collegiate Magazine/The Ichnolite/The Amherst College Magazine
- Amherst Literary Monthly/Amherst Monthly/Amherst Writing/Amherst Literary Magazine
- The Amherst Muck-Rake
- Amherst Spectator
- The Amherst Symposium
- Baby Jeff
- Backbone Flute
- The Bat
- College Cucumber
- College Dial
- College Story Club
- Electric Pen
- Experimental Magazine
- For Art’s Sake
- Four Leaf Clover
- The Gazette of Amherst College
- The Guest
- Horae Collegianae
- Horn Book
- In Other Words
- The Indicator
- The Jeff
- La Critique
- Lord Jeff
- The Medusa
- New Mag
- Pinen Nancho
- The Point
- A Review/Amherst Review
- The Scorpion
- The Shrine
- Spiritus Mundi
- The Sprite
- Stone Edge
- Subterranean Guide to Amherst College
- The Thursday Evening Item
- The Toothpick
- Tubs of Slaw
- Writing at Amherst/Clarion
Titles by Amherst alumni:
- Amherst Alumni Council News
- Amherst Alumni News/Amherst magazine
- Amherst Graduate Quarterly Bulletin
- Amherst Graduate Quarterly
- Amherst Letter/Parents’ Letter
Titles by Five College students:
- Five College International Forum
- Five College Third World Newsletter
- Han Ma Um Korean-American Journal of the Five Colleges
- An Insider’s Guide to the Five Colleges
- Third World Watch – The Five College Student Newspaper
For more information
- You can already view the student newspapers and Olios (yearbooks) in ACDC.
- The 2016 Digital Scholarship Summer Interns created a timeline of all student publications in the collection
- To see what’s still to come, you can also check out the collection’s finding aid online.
- Our technical documentation for this project, which includes more details on how publications were chosen for inclusion in ACDC, is also available.